Healthy Workplace | Injury Prevention Information | Workplace Mental Health Tools | Government Resources | Organizations | Magazines
Healthy Workplace Tools
- The WorkBC Employer's Toolkit: Healthy Work Environments - This booklet offers practical information on occupational health and safety, health promotion and organization health.
- Health & Safety Smart Planner - an Institute for Work and Health software tool designed to calculate the costs and benefits of workplace health and safety initiatives.
- Total Worker Health: Let’s Get Started! A Practitioner’s Guide to Integrating Workplace Safety and Health with Health Promotion - Center for Disease Control / NIOSH guidelines and tools for employers
- Healthy Workplace Participatory Program - From
Center for Promotion and Health in the New England Workplace (CPH-NEW), an online tool to help organizations implement a participatory and integrated approach to health, safety, and wellness programs.
- Worksite Health ScoreCard - Centers for Disease Control (CDC) tool to assist employers in identifying gaps in health promotion programs, and to prioritize high-impact strategies for health promotion at worksites on a range of health topics such as occupational safety and health, organizational supports, stress management, depression, and physical activity.
- Quality of Worklife Questionnaire - NIOSH provides tools for measuring the relationship between job/organizational characteristics and worker health and safety and identifying targets for health and safety preventive interventions
- Organization of Work Measurement Tools for Research and Practice- NIOSH provides a means for researchers to quickly and easily identify available instruments for measuring organizational characteristics that may be useful for advancing research on the associations between work organization and worker safety, health, and well-being
- How to Choose Well at Work - An Employer's Guide - A downloadable PDF guide for employers to help their employees choose healthier lifestyles. Created by the Government of Alberta.
- Psychological Health and Safety: An Action Guide for Employers - This is an interactive online guide to help employers create psychologically healthy workplaces. Created by the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
- Worksheet to Help You Get Started on Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation - NIOSH Total Worker Health easy-to-read steps help you begin more systematically planning an integrated approach in your workplace.
- Ideas You Can Implement Right Now to Integrate Health Protection and Health Promotion - Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - NIOSH provides low-cost, easily achievable ideas for a workplace that better supports Total Worker Health.
- CDC National Healthy Worksite Program - Assists employers in implementing science and practice-based prevention and wellness strategies.
- Workplace Health Assessment - A Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website providing comprehensive guidance and resources on how to conduct an assessment focused on workplace health.
- Safety and Health Program Assessment Worksheet - Contains questions about organizational programs and policies pertaining to occupational safety and health. Created by the US Department of Labor.
- Podcasts on Healthy Workplaces - Podcasts vary on topics of sleep health, smoking cessation, preventing injuries, working in extreme weather and more. Created by Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.
Injury Prevention Information
- Research to Reality - A series of Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety reports, with research updates on topics such as 'new promise for injury prevention', 'ergonomic interventions', 'slips and falls', 'ladder safety', and 'obesity in the workplace'
- Ergonomics and Musculoskeletal Disorders - Sponsored by the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, this website provides academic research resources on ergonomics and musculoskeletal disorders in the workplace.
- Back at Work - This WorkSafeBC site provides information to help you deal with back pain and how to return to work.
- Whiplash Prevention Site - Provides employers and fleet managers a database of vehicles to search for head restraint safety and green ratings. Created by the Whiplash Prevention Campaign.
Workplace Mental Health Tools
- Mental Health Works - Initiative by Canadian Mental Health Association that focuses on mental health in the workplace.
- Psychological Health and Safety: An Action Guide for Employers - This is an interactive online guide for to help employers create psychologically healthy workplaces. Created by the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
- Healthy Minds @ Work - Information to help workplaces effectively address mental health issues with the aim of improving workplace mental health for all. Information by Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Guarding Minds @ Work - Guarding Minds @ Work is a free, evidence-based strategy that helps employers protect and promote psychological safety and health in their workplace. Produced by Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Antidepressant Skills at Work: Self-Care Guide - This manual is intended to assist employees experiencing low mood or depression, and is based on evidence-based principles and practices relating to depression and chronic disease management. Produced by Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction and BC Mental Health & Addiction Services.
- Podcast - on the expanding impact mental health problems have on the workplace, from Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety.
- Webinar - Mental Health in the Workplace - This Mental Health Works webinar explores mental health issues at work, and training managers in communication skills and the importance of mentally healthy workplaces.
- Videos connected to mental health - Learn more about personal goal setting, brainstorming, overcoming procrastination and building self-confidence at work with these great videos from MindTools.
- Institute for Work & Health - The Institute aims to protect and improve the health of working people by providing useful, relevant research. They conduct and share research with policy-makers, workers and workplaces, clinicians and health & safety professionals.
- Institut de recherche Robert-Sauvé en santé et en sécurité du travail (IRSST) - Conducts scientific research and disseminates knowledge, toward the prevention of industrial accidents and occupational diseases and the rehabilitation of affected workers.
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) - Promotes the physical, psychosocial and mental health of working Canadians. They offer a range of workplace health and safety services to help organizations raise awareness, assess risks, implement prevention programs, and improve health, safety and well-being.
- Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) - MHCC is a catalyst for improving the mental health system and changing the attitudes and behaviours of Canadians around mental health issues.
- CDC-NIOSH Total Worker Health - is a strategy integrating occupational safety and health protection with health promotion to prevent worker injury and illness and to advance health and well-being. TWH is part of the US government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
TWH Centers of Excellence:
- BenefitsCanada: Working Well - Working Well provides information and ideas that helps managers and hr professionals create healthier working environments.
Healthy Workplace Research
Modifiable workplace risk factors contributing to workplace absence across health conditions: A stakeholder-centered best-evidence synthesis of systematic reviews. Open Access. WORK Journal, 2013.